The District Institutes of Education and Training (DIETs) were envisioned in the National Policy of Education, 1986, and were created by the Government of India, Ministry of Human Resource Development in the late 1980s to strengthen elementary education and support the decentralization of education to the district level. They were created through a centrally supported scheme and following the guidelines suggested in the ‘pink book' (Government of India,1989).
District Institute of Education and Training (DIET) Thrissur is one of the First DIETs of Kerala which began in the year 1989. It stands nestled in an idyllic locale named Ramavarmapuram in Thrissur district, the cultural capital of Kerala. It functions as a nodal agency for providing academic and resources support at the district and grassroots levels for the success of various interventions and programmes undertaken from pre-primary to higher secondary levels.
The Department of General Education, Government of Kerala and MHRD adopt a very proactive approach, providing infrastructural facilities through regular installation and up-gradation of facilities in the campus to facilitate the smooth implementation of the teaching-learning procedure and help to acquire excellence in the field of Academic Intervention in Education.
ACTIVITIES OF DIET
DIETs have 3 main functions, viz.
(i) Training (both of induction level as well as continuing varieties)
(ii) Resource support (extension/guidance, development of materials, aids, evaluation tools, etc.) and
(iii) Research and Action research
- Provides pre-service training to teacher trainees, including all the latest trends in the field of education.
- Encourages research base activities like action research and case studies of teacher trainees and teacher educators of the district.
- Organizes seminars on various subjects in which provision is given to teacher trainees and teacher educators of other institutions.
- Assists educational authorities in planning and coordination of in-service education programmes for elementary teachers throughout the district, and to plan and coordinate such programmes held in the DIET.
- Identifies training needs of elementary teachers in the district, and prepare a perspective plan for meeting such needs.
- Provides orientation programme for resource persons who would conduct in-service programmes for teachers at other centres in the district (i.e. outside the DIET)
- Evaluate and monitor the quality and efficacy of in-service programmes held in and outside the DIET, and to strive for their continuous improvement.
- Provides training to Teacher Educators in tune with the changes that take place in the curriculum and instructional strategies of Teacher Training .
- Maintains an appropriate database for the district which may be required for various planning.
- Conducts studies with a view to giving policy advice to educational planners/ administrators.
- Development of norms, criteria and techniques for evaluation of institutions
- Provide training for Heads of school Complexes and Block level educational functionaries in P&M, covering areas like leadership, motivation, involving the community, educational administration, finance and accounting, office procedure and planning.
- Empowers the teachers on the effective utilization of the successful findings of the technology world.
- Organizes workshops for preparing learning materials which help to impart curriculum effectively.
- Conducts Action Research, debates and Seminars related to academic and administrative matters.
- Conducts researches and studies in the field of curriculum, instructional strategies and evaluation.
- Prepares materials for all subjects up to the second level which smoothes the teaching-learning process.
- Documents and disseminates all educational activities in the District done by DIET and related to SSA, Jilla Panchayath and other educational agencies.
- Integrates all activities in the District connected with work experience.
- Takes leadership in the planning, execution and evaluation of co-curricular activities, especially in the field of work experience.
- Equips teachers in the primary section, to plan and execute learning activities, integrating the competencies in work experience and core subjects, through teacher training.
- Develops materials, to transact curricular objectives of work experience, up to std 10.
- Leads the Adult literacy programmes in this district by giving training to prerakh as a combined effort with District Literacy Mission.
- Supervises the evaluation process of answer scripts of level and level Examination.
- Develops learning and training materials for continuing education programmes.
- Conducts monitoring of all training programmes for adult literates.
- Maintains the standards of various programmes for adult and continuing education
- Provides academic support and monitors the inclusive practices in the district.